WHAT IS PARTY WALL?
The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is an enabling piece of legislation which provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes between neighbouring property owners.
If a Building Owner intends to carry out certain works including a new extension, loft conversion, reconfiguring internal layouts or building a new boundary wall, the works may be notifiable under the Party Wall Act.
This means that the Building Owner is required by law to inform the Adjoining Owner of their intended works prior to any works commencing. The legislation grants rights to the Building Owner to carry out their intended works whilst protecting and potentially compensating the Adjoining Owner in the event that any damages may occur to their property during the works.Locations Get a Quote
WHAT TYPES WORKS ARE COVERED BY THE PARTY WALL ACT?
Section 1 – Line of junction works – New walls being built at the boundary line:
This may include a new free standing boundary wall or a wall which is serving a new extension. A Building Owner would be required to serve a notice on any Adjoining Owner at least One Month before the works start.
Section 2 – Works to an existing party wall or boundary structure
This section relates to works being undertaken to existing boundary structures which are generally jointly owned by the two neighbouring owners and includes party walls, party fence walls and party structures.
The rights granted to a Building Owner includes the following works:
• Demolishing and Rebuilding
• Cutting Into
• Cutting Away/Cutting off Projections
• Reducing Height off and
A Building Owner would be required to serve a notice on any Adjoining Owner at least Two Months before the works start.
Section 3 – Adjacent excavation works
This section provides protection for existing buildings or structures where excavation works are being planned within close proximity of the existing foundations. The following type of excavation works are notifiable under the Act:
• Excavations which are within 3m of an existing building or structure to a depth lower than the bottom of the existing foundations
• Excavations within 6m of an existing building or structure depending on the depth of the proposed foundations
A Building Owner would be required to serve a notice on any Adjoining Owner at least One Month before the works start.
PARTY WALL SERVICES
A general overview of our services when appointed by the Building Owner or Adjoining Owner are outlined below. When we are appointed as the Agreed Surveyor, we combine both roles and act impartially on behalf of both parties.
Acting for the Building Owner
- Review the proposed construction works and plans including liaising with any third parties such as Architects, Engineers and Builders
- Establish any Adjoining Owners by reviewing available Land Registry information
- Prepare and serve the relevant Party Wall Notices on your behalf
- Inspect the neighbouring property and produce a Schedule of Condition which documents the condition of the property prior to works commencing
- Prepare and serve the Party Wall Award
- Monitor the notifiable works on site as necessary and inspect the Neighboring property upon completion of the works to determine whether any damage has been caused
Acting for the Adjoining Owner
- Review the Party Wall notices and associated documentation which have been served on you to confirm whether they are compliant with the Act
- Arrange a joint inspection of your property and agree a Schedule of Condition which documents the condition of the property prior to works commencing
- Negotiate and agreeing the contents of the Party Wall Award
- Monitor the notifiable works on site as necessary and inspect your property upon completion of the works to determine whether any damage has been caused
Why choose Bailey & Johnston?
- Each Party Wall matter will be dealt with by an experienced RICS Chartered Building Surveyor who has a strong knowledge and experience of the Party Wall Act and various construction projects from inception to completion
- As we are a RICS Regulated practice, we work to the highest ethical and professional standards
- We aim to be fully transparent, and solution focused throughout the process and provide professional, honest and practical advice in accordance with the relative legislation and case law
Where can I find out more information?
If you have any questions or would like to obtain a quote for Party Wall services, please contact email@example.com will be happy to answer any questions which you may have. Alternatively, please fill out and submit the contact form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.